Today is National Family Literacy Day!
Since 1994, National Family Literacy Day has helped communities celebrate the wonders of literacy and reminded people of the importance of literacy. The entire month is special as well – many families, programs and communities now join us in celebrating family literacy throughout the entire month. That’s right, November is National Family Literacy Month!
Here are ten fun activities to do with your children throughout the year:
1) National Children’s Book Week is November 13-19th. Read your child’s favorite book together and talk about what happened in the story afterwards.
2) National Cookie Day is December 4th. Make cookies with your child and use a recipe to talk about sequence. (ie. “first we have to preheat the oven, next we get the ingredients out”)
3) January is National Soup Month. Serve alphabet soup and spell words using the noodles in the soup.
4) The first day of Spring is March 21st. Help your child make a list of nature’s first signs of Spring and then go on a nature walk and have your child check off the signs that they see.
5) Mother Goose Day is May 1. Take turns reciting all the Mother Goose rhymes you can think of or read them from a storybook
6) June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month. Ask your child to try to name a fruit or vegetable for each letter of the alphabet. Try to eat as many as you can during the month.
7) July is National Picnic Month. Use the newspaper to find a day that will be nice for a picnic.
8) The first Sunday in August is friendship day. Have your child write a letter to one of their friends.
9) September is Library-Card Sign Up Month. Take your child to get a library card if they don’t have one yet.
10) October is National Popcorn Popping Month. Enjoy popcorn with your child while your child makes a list of all their favorite things about popcorn.
These ideas came from the National Center For Family’s Celebrate Literacy Calendar. Check it out because it has lots more ideas for activities to do with your children!
This post is linked to Oh Amanda’s Top 10 Tuesday.