Father’s Day is Sunday, June 19th, and the clan from Dinosaur Train would love to help you celebrate!
Why not kick off Father’s Day starting with a special Dino Breakfast, made especially for Dad! Then, Buddy recommends that everyone have some Dino Fun and play The Dinosaur Train All Aboard Game.
So to start the day, here are some healthy, easy-to-make menu ideas to prepare with your child! Explain that he/she is going to help to prepare a special breakfast for Dad that could be served Aboooooooooard – the Dinosaur Train!
· T.rex Footprint Pancakes – with adult help, children shape the batter into the large three-toed feet of a Tyrannosaurus.
· Paleontologist Pancakes – make small pancakes, then stack them up 5 or 6 high (maybe putting apple sauce or sour cream between them), and hiding “fossils” between the layers – the fossils being pieces of strawberry, banana slices, chocolate chips, and so on.
· Stegosaurus Smoothie – a colorful, healthy fruit smoothie made with a blend of yogurt, a frozen banana, and any other fruit you wish. Serve it on a dish with a rim. In the middle of the dish, place a line of triangular fruit pieces – such as pineapple, apples, or cantaloupe. These little fruity triangles will look like the plates on a stegosaurus’ back.
· Triceratops Eggs – scrambled eggs that have “horns” sticking out of them – made of breadsticks.
Your child can write and design the menu to announce all the tasty food they will be serving (You can help your younger ones to do the writing, of course!) And before preparing any food, have a discussion about safety in the kitchen. What are some jobs that are good for kids to do? What jobs should be handled by an adult?
You can also show your child a clip from Gilbert the Junior Conductor in which the Pteranadon Family enjoys eating breakfast on the Dinosaur Train.
Then, everyone can gather round to play The Dinosaur Train All Aboard Game! In this game, players will choose a character – Buddy, Tiny, Shiny, Don, Cory, Tank or Mr. Conductor – and try to move the fastest along the tracks. Speed through the three dinosaur eras: Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous along the beautiful scenery. Special Stopwatch spaces will help you get closer to the nest, while Dinosaur Crossing spaces will send you back. The first player to reach the nest area in the center of the board wins. The game is for 2 to 6 players ages4+.
To finish off your fun Father’s Day, you might want to go on a nature hike. You’ll need a high-energy snack for the road! Explain that paleontologists sometimes have to explore remote areas, so ask kids to create a mix of healthy nuts, dried fruit, and maybe dried cereal to make Dad’s Favorite Trail Mix!
One reader will win The Dinosaur Train All Aboard Game! See my review of the game here.
HOW TO ENTER:
(Do any or all of the following)
1) Tell me who your child’s favorite character is on Dinosaur Train
2) Subscribe to Making Time For Mommy
3) Follow me on Twitter
4) Follow @hensoncompany on Twitter
5) “Like” Making Time For Mommy on Facebook
6) “Like” Henson Company on Facebook
7) Enter another one of my giveaways and let me know which one you entered
8) Tweet or update your FB Status with: “I just entered to win The Dinosaur Train All Aboard Game from @aliciamarie112 at http://www.makingtimeformommy.com”
Giveaway ends July 8, 2011 at 11:59pm Central.
(Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation for this post but have previously reviewed the game which I received from the company last year. All thoughts are my own.)